Do phonologists mispell "Tatamagouche"?

Hello, this is basically avoidance behavior, but I thought some of you might like to know…

“Tatamagouche” is a small town in Nova Scotia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatamagouche,_Nova_Scotia). The similar “Tatamagouchi” appears in SPE (Chomsky and Halle 1968, 114) as an example word, as part of the data justifying a phonological rule that assigns secondary stress in long words.

A Google search on “Tatamagouchi” yields mostly works in phonological theory addressing English stress assignment. I conjecture, therefore, that Chomsky and Halle made a spelling mistake in SPE (or used an archaic spelling) which has since been carried forward by other phonologists, myself included. Cheers, Bruce Hayes

3 thoughts on “Do phonologists mispell "Tatamagouche"?

1. Ed Keer

What I really want right now is a website where you type in text and you get an animation of Beavis saying what you typed. “Tatamagouche! Hehhehehehehehehe Tatamagouche! “

2. Jason Brown

From what I understand, Tatamagouche was originally an Acadian settlement, with a French spelling of the name. And I’ve heard that it’s pronounced with a final [ʃ], no vowel following (like many neighboring towns). Maybe it’s possible the spelling was reinterpreted in the wrong way.