If you’re into schwa, this conference is for you. (Via LINGUIST List.)
Full Title: Schwa(s) – 5èmes Journées d’Études Linguistiques
Short Title: JEL’2007
Date: 27-Jun-2007 – 28-Jun-2007
Location: Nantes, France
Contact Person: Olivier Crouzet
Web Site: http://www.lettres.univ-nantes.fr/lling/jel2007/
Call Deadline: 18-Dec-2006
Schwa(s) – 5èmes Journées d’études Linguistiques de Nantes (JEL’2007, 5th Nantes Conference on Linguistics). Organized by Olivier Crouzet and Jean-Pierre Angoujard (Laboratoire de Linguistique de Nantes, LLING – EA3827): http://www.lettres.univ-nantes.fr/lling/jel2007/.
Schwa(s) – 5th Nantes Conference in Linguistics (JEL’2007)
LLING – EA3827
2nd Call for papers
The 5th Journées d’Études Linguistiques de Nantes (JEL’2007) will take
place on 27th and 28th, June 2007. They will be organized by Olivier Crouzet and Jean-Pierre Angoujard (Laboratoire de Linguistique de Nantes, LLING – EA3827). In the historical (and friendly) context of discussion that has taken place regularly in Nantes between phoneticians and phonologists, the theme and title of this workshop will be : ”Schwa(s)”.
You’re invited to submit a summary (maximum 2 pages, including references, A4 paper) about any issue related to ”schwa(s)” :
– Nature of schwa in French and in any other language;
– Schwa and central vowels;
– Schwa and ”empty positions”;
– ”Substance” of empty positions;
– Phonological change, [hi]storie(s) of schwa(s);
– Dialectology, usage of schwa;
– Instrumental (articulatory or acoustic) analyses of schwas and associated consonants;
– Treatment of schwa(s) in speech synthesis;
– Perceptual mechanisms relating to schwas and associated consonants;
– Recognition of words including schwas;
(this list is not restrictive).
All information concerning this conference is available on the conference website:
The submission deadline is Monday, December 18th 2006.
Send an anonymous two page abstract (A4, times 12) in PDF format
including the title of the proposed communication at the following address : jel2007univ-nantes.fr.
Your text will be written in either English or French with no indication of authors. This PDF document will be sent to the following email address : jel2007univ-nantes.fr, the body of your message will include :
– the e-mail address to which communications should be sent;
– the author(s)’ name(s);
– the author(s)’ affiliation(s)’;
– the author(s)’ address;
– the title of the communication.
The author(s)’ name(s) and affiliation(s) should only appear in the body of your e-mail, not in the PDF document.
If you wish to submit several proposals, please do this in separate e-mails.
The proposals will be evaluated anonymously by the scientific committee. Evaluations will be sent along with the acceptance rejection decision.
For the inclusion of final papers into the conference proceedings, word processing styles (for OpenOffice Word and LaTeX) will be provided to the authors.
– Submission deadline: December, 18th 2006
– Notification of acceptation: March, 30th 2007
– Reception of final papers: May, 21st 2007
– Preliminary programme: June, 4th 2007
– Conference (JEL’2007): June, 27th-28th 2007.
[This two-day conference will be followed, on Friday 29th June 2007, by the first Journée d’Études Gallèses (JEG’2007) (Conference on the Gallo language). On this first edition, the scientific programme will be upon invitation only. For any information concerning this workshop on Gallo: