AREA 2.

AREA 2. Decolonization, ghetto colonialism, and settler colonial studies

I am particularly interested in how the contours of settler colonialism in North America continues to define education and the possibilities for social change. My work in particular describes “ghetto colonialism” as “a specialization of settler colonialism” and thus attempts to bridge the Black radical tradition with those of Indigenous and Chicana/o writers on colonialism.

I wrote two foundational articles in this area. “The Postcolonial Ghetto: Seeing his shape and her hand” (2010), (under the pen name La Paperson) was the lead article for the founding issue of the Berkeley Review of Education, and has been downloaded approximately 3,000 times. With Eve Tuck, I coauthored “Decolonization is not a metaphor” (2012) which was the lead article for the founding issue of Decolonization: Indigeneity, Education & Society, and has been downloaded over 5,000 times. The latter article has been nominated for an award, to be decided by the membership at the 2014 meeting of the Native American and Indigenous Studies Association.

I have also written extensively about settler colonial knowledge production within the social sciences, and the importance of “refusal” as a stance against invasive research agendas that cast urban communities of color, Indigenous communities, and Othered communities as damaged and thus deserving of state-administered intervention. Although this is a theme throughout my scholarship, two articles that address this directly are, “R-words: Refusing research” (2013) and forthcoming “Unbecoming claims: Pedagogies of refusal in qualitative research”, which I also wrote in collaboration with Eve Tuck.

My forthcoming article “Terra sacer and 21st century invasion: A ghetto land pedagogy is an antidote for settler environmentalism” extends my work on the connections between Blackness and Indigeneity and the construction of ‘ghetto’ space. Also, I have an article in preparation that was solicited from Harvard Education Review which will examine the role that educational institutions might yet play in decolonization.