Squibs in NLLT

As noted in the announcement that Junko Ito had joined Michael Kenstowicz as a phonology editor of NLLT, the journal will now be publishing shorter squib-like pieces. I wanted to get the low-down on this exciting move, so I contacted Junko and we set up a webchat interview. (Junko’s idea — I was Junko’s undergrad student in the early 90s, and even then she was way ahead of me in the new technology area.) The interview in full is below the fold.

Eric: Hi, Junko, I hear NLLT is starting a squibs section. Is that right?

Junko: Yes, we are hoping that such a section would attract short articles that are thought-provoking and put forth new observations and ideas. Submissions should be 15 pages or less–obviously not a venue for major theoretical proposals, but for brief remarks, replies, and discussions.

E: Are there special editors for these short pieces?

J: No, if it’s phonology, just email it as a pdf file to either me (ito@ucsc.edu) or Mike (kenstow@mit.edu). The procedure is the same as for full-length articles.

E: Is the reviewing going to take just as long?

J: The editors are hoping that reviewing will take less time for short pieces. Because Springer recently changed the page layout of NLLT, I am told that there is now a shorter turnaround time even for regular articles. And one other thing–NLLT is also very interested in publishing experimental/phonetics work that bear on theoretical issues in phonology.

E: That all sounds very good. :)

J: I hope so. Any other questions?

E: Not that I can think of right now.

J: OK, any other questions about NLLT submissions or guidelines, please be sure to email me or Mike. Bye!

E: Bye!

2 thoughts on “Squibs in NLLT

1. pkg

great idea, junko & thanks for posting, eric — i agree, squibs rule! unless of course as noted http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squib_%28explosive%29squibs are really a throwback to the days of “topic comment” (wikipedia notes the use of “For hits on persons, the squib is coupled with a “blood pack”, which is a condom or balloon filled with fake blood, and sometimes chunks of sponge to simulate shattered bone and tissue. Such combinations are sometimes referred to as “blood squibs”) — dare this refer to those heady days where the columnist in question bashes everyone not as smart as her/him? :) if not, and those days are over, it will be great! small ideas and small problems, especially presenting new data for all of us at larger to ponder, are really important to continued growth of our field. bye!