It’s a sad day for the entire profession.
As soon as I find an obituary, I’ll post. Done — see below. In the meantime, here are a few pages noting Peter’s passing this week at the age of 80.
- Remembering Peter Ladefoged
- Peter’s homepage at UCLA
- the UCLA Phonetics Lab (that Peter established)
- the UCLA obituary
- the LA Times obituary (thanks, Lisa!)
- the Linguist List obituary
- the NY Times obituary
- Peter’s page on Wikipedia
- the International Phonetic Association homepage
You may also be interested in reading about Ladefoged’s career in his own words (.pdf), which appears to have been written sometime within the last few years.
And for a little comic relief from the sadness: a linguist joke in which “the Devil [is] a tall, handsome man with a voice rather like Peter Ladefoged’s.”