Becoming an Undergraduate Researcher: Details

Students can get course credit for research by enrolling in COGS 160 or [HDP, LING, PSYC] 199. Permission is required.


  1. Sophomore or higher standing, majoring in BIPN, Cognitive Science, Human Development, Linguistics or Psychology.
  2. 3.3 + GPA
  3. At least two upper-division courses on neuroscience, cognitive science, human development, and/or psycholinguistics
  4. Experience interacting with infants and/or children (strongly preferred)
  5. Excellent work ethic, dedication, and desire to contribute to science
  6.  3-quarter commitment to the lab (4 credit hours/quarter) or 300+ hours
  7. Attend project meetings and journal club
  8. Complete final paper and presentation every quarter
  9. Complete research ethics training on the CITI website

Some projects require reliable transportation, but most do not.

To Apply or Request More Information:

If you meet the requirements above, please send the following to

  1. Brief summary of research interests: Why do you want to become a student research assistant?
  2. Copy of your transcript (unofficial is fine)
  3. Resume
  4. Available days and times for an informational meeting and interview

If possible, contact us at least a week before the academic quarter begins.

Policies for Undergraduate Researchers

Sample COGS 160 Syllabus

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *